QUETTA: The Inspector General of Police, Mohammad Amlish Khan, has said that law and order situation in the province is not purely a home-grown problem because criminal elements from Iran, Afghanistan and Sindh often penetrate into Balochistan.

He said that police with the help of other law-enforcement agencies had recently made a breakthrough by eliminating the provincial leadership of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ). The development has had a positive effect on the law and order situation in the province.

Talking to journalists, he said: "Balochistan police have been confronting the challenge of terrorism for years. The province has borders with Iran, Afghanistan and Sindh from where terrorists, militants and criminals enter Balochistan. Because of limited financial sources, police cannot monitor the entry of all such people into Balochistan."

He said top leaders of LeJ in the province, including Osman Saifullah, had been killed and their accomplices arrested in the recent intelligence-driven joint operations of police and other law-enforcement agencies.

He said that banned militant organisations such as Jaish-i-Islam had stepped up their activities in the province after the signing of an agreement to build China-Pakistan Economic Corridor which would pass through the province. "Several militant organisations have formed a joint network to carry out terrorist activities in the province."

However, the IG said, a senior leader of Jaish-i-Islam, Mehmood Rind, had been killed and some of his accomplices arrested in a recent operation.

He said five members of a militant group involved in targeted killing of settlers and Shia Hazaras in Quetta had also been arrested.

"We have traced the network of the organisation and hope to arrest its more members soon," he said.

In reply to a question, Mr Khan said that under the National Action Plan, 53 cases against terror suspects had been referred to military courts which had initiated the trials.

He said police had launched a witness protection programme because witnesses were often afraid of recording statements against terrorists.

To another question, he said that 83 CCTV cameras would be installed on six entry and exit routs of Quetta and 100 such cameras inside the city. Police have erected 20 barriers and deployed 300 policemen in the city to maintain security.

Mr Khan said that 654 police personnel had been killed in the fight against terrorism in Balochistan since 2006.

He said that Levies Force had the jurisdiction over 95 per cent area of Balochistan and only five per cent of its area was under the control of police.

"We have repeatedly demanded an end to the anomaly in the law-enforcement system but some politicians are opposing the idea of merger of Levies Force with police," he said.

The IG said that 500 people would be recruited in Balochistan police soon.

He advised militants to take benefit of amnesty announced by the provincial apex committee and shun violence.

Published in Dawn, July 30th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play



Addis Ababa (HAN) August 1, 2015 - Public Diplomacy and Regional weekly Security Initiatives update. Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has conducted workshop on Diaspora law and policy on July 31, 2015 in collaboration with Indian Embassy in Addis Ababa.

On the occasion, Genet Teshome, Director General for Asia and Oceania Affairs Directorate in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that mobilizing Diaspora in a very comprehensive manner is very important to support development and democratization endeavors in country. He underlined that Diaspora could transfer knowledge, technology, skill, know-how to support development of Ethiopia. He also highlighted the Diaspora's role in investment, tourism, trade.

In addition the Diaspora could also serve as bridge between their country of residence and their country of origin thereby enhancing cooperation. He noted the importance of mobilizing and harnessing Ethiopian Diaspora's knowledge and resources to realize Ethiopia's renaissance.

?Ethiopia?'s Ambassador to India, Genet Zewde forwarded her gratitude to the people and government of India for unreserved support for Ethiopian Diaspora policy formulation, training and sharing experience in Diaspora mobilization. She also stressed that Diaspora could play pivotal role in the areas of image building and people to people relation between nations.

Indian ambassador to Ethiopia Mr. Sanjay Verma shared to the participants of the workshop India's experience in the Diaspora engagement. He pointed-out that it has taken long time to mobilize Indian Diaspora all over the world. He forwarded that now days Indian Diaspora across the globe are one of foremost financial sources for Indian domestic development activities. He added that ?India? will continue providing all necessary supports, sharing best experiences and expertise to Ethiopia in the areas of Diaspora mobilization.
On the workshop it was mentioned that formulating conducive policy and legal framework is extremely important to create strong bond between the Diaspora and their country of origin and to protect interests and rights of Diaspora in abroad.

HAN amp; Geeska Afrika Online (1985-2015), the oldest free independent Free Press in the region, brings together top journalists from across the Horn of Africa. Including Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, Djibouti, South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Afar and Harari. Plus, we have daily translations from 150 major news organizations in the Middle East and East African regions. Contact at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Seventy-five-year-old Nguyen Tien Minh, a retired teacher dedicated to helping poor students attend school, tells Bui Quynh Hoa that his happiness does not depend on peoples appreciation or merit certificates, but on his students success in learning and in life.

Inner Sanctum: Could you tell us something about your teaching career?

I was born in 1941 to a poor family in the central province of Ha Tinhs Huong Son District. Due to my difficult circumstances, I went to school very late, at the age of 11, five years later than my friends of the same age. After graduating from high school, I joined the Viet Nam Peoples Army for 13 years. When the south was liberated in 1975, I returned home. At that time, it was said that it was challenging for a demob like me to take the university examination. But I did and graduated from the Teachers Training Universitys history department in Vinh City at the age of 40.

The path to my teaching career was hard. But if I look at it from another angle, it helped me to become more energetic, and I had a good opportunity to understand my students more. Im proud to say that Im a successful teacher. Students were happy to listen to my history lessons. To me, that was the best way they expressed their gratitude to me. Many of them won major prizes at national and provincial-level contests.

Inner Sanctum: Encouraging students to study brings hope and a bright future for poor students and those in difficult circumstances. Its significant, but also hard work to find financial support for them. What have you done in this regard? What were the results?

I have been participating in the societys activities since 2002. Thirteen years of working here means that for 13 years, Ive gone to every household in the district to learn about their difficulties, to film and post clips about their circumstances on the Internet, and to find financial sources to support poor but good students overcome their problems and go to school.

The period spent in encouraging students to study has created a favourable environment for me to co-operate with other members in the society, as well as individuals and organisations nationwide and abroad, to raise funds for our poor students.

We raised several million dong in 2002, more than VND6 billion (about US$300,000) in 2014 and VND2.6 billion ($130,000) in the first six months of this year.

Thanks to this, many students have achieved high results. One of them is Le Minh Cuong, a boy who used to catch birds in the forest to get enough money to be able to go to school. Supported by the society, Cuong received a VND180-million scholarship at the Quoc Van Private High School for his study and accommodation over three years. He became the first laureate of the HCM City Teachers Training University.

Nguyen Chinh Thuy was another poor boy who received a scholarship with the societys help, and became the runner-up of the national physics contest. He is one of those competing in physics in the international arena.

Many others have graduated from colleges and universities and have stable jobs.

Several campaigns have been implemented in the district too, such as One day per week without coffee, Saving VND2,000 each month or Raising pigs for Spratly Islands .

Inner Sanctum: Does your family support your work? Its said do-gooders should know that charity begins at home.

At first, my family and neighbours did not support me and looked at me as a strange one. But their attitude changed gradually, after seeing the significance of my work and the results it brought to the poor children.

Inner Sanctum: At the age of 75, do you face any challenges while using applications such as Facebook, Zalo or Viber in your work?

Youre right to say old people are not comfortable with advanced technology. The initial days are always difficult. I faced lots of difficulties in making acquaintance with and using Facebook, Zalo or Viber skillfully in my work at first. But now, its okay. I can do it.

In my opinion, I should be able do things that people know too.

Inner Sanctum: How do you feel about your work?

I think Im a happy guy, though life is hard.

To me, happiness is not about how many certificates of merit I have or peoples applause. It is about my students success in learning and life. -- VNS



Najib said the proposed regulation, which was aimed at ensuring greater transparency of political parties, had previously been submitted but rejected by DAP.

Indeed, the president can find the money (funds) for the party. I can explain (the source of funds for Umno) provided the opposition also explained their financial sources.

DAP should explain, PKR have to explain from where they obtained (funds). I can explain If they explain together with us, only then would it be fair, he said when opening the Umno delegates meeting in Seremban, yesterday.

The Seremban Member of Parliament added the final report of the Special Committee on Electoral Reforms 2012 had recommended the government to allocate funds to political parties according to the number of seats won in the elections.

He said this move would restore democracy in the country and would tackle corruption among politicians in the elections.

But Najib has ignored all the recommendations by the Special Committee on Electoral Reform after the 13th General Election, forgetting his promise to hold a fair and clean election system in Malaysia.

He has no moral authority to talk about the renewal of (legislation) of political funds as he still could not even answer the question on whether it (was true) that a sum of RM2.6 billion had been deposited into his personal account.

Meanwhile, PAS secretary-general Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan said the party did not have objection for the Prime Minister to present the proposal in Dewan Rakyat.

Takiyuddin said he felt that the proposal was a good effort.

PAS is a party that is transparent from a financial perspective, of course it has no problems with the proposal.

Whatever (it is), we need to see the details (of the proposal) and the terms that will be recommended before any decision can be made, the Kota Baru MP told The Rakyat Post when contacted.

PKR strategic director Sim Tze Tzin said Najib's suggestions were a mere rhetoric to divert public opinion on the issues he faced.

Umno has its own financial resources that are suspicious and of unknown sources.

So, I do not think the matter will become a reality because it is certain that it will not disclose its financial resources, the Bayan Baru MP said.



COLUMBUS Backers of an effort to put the question of legalizing marijuana before Ohio voters in November filed nearly 96,000 new signatures Thursday in hopes theyll patch a roughly 30,000-signature hole identified in their prior petitions.

As county elections boards prepare to scrutinize the latest signatures, the threat of a legal battle ahead has escalated in the wake of Secretary of State Jon Husteds decision to appoint a special investigator Wednesday to look into discrepancies in the groups prior petitions.

We are 1,000 percent confident we will qualify for November, said Ian James, ResponsibleOhios executive director. Were turning in well over three times the number of signatures needed. Were turning in 25,572 voter registrations along with this.

Weve been working all over the state of Ohio, mostly in nonmetro counties, to ensure that we worked in places with higher [signature] validity rates, he said.

If enough of the latest signatures survive, voters will be asked on Nov. 3 to legalize marijuana for recreational, medical, and commercial purposes and to fashion a new wholesale and retail merchandising system around it that would be regulated and taxed.

It also would ask voters to etch into the Ohio Constitution the specific locations, down to the parcel numbers, of 10 investor-owned wholesale growing facilities, including one on a North Toledo farm.

Mr. Husteds office on Wednesday issued subpoenas for the testimony of Mr. James and for records from the Strategy Network, Mr. James firm running the petition process. The secretary of state has appointed David E. Bowers, former Allen County prosecutor, to investigate what he has characterized as potential fraud in connection with the first batch of signatures filed on June 30.

In anticipation of that move, ResponsibleOhio recently hired Andy Douglas, a former Ohio Supreme Court justice and Toledo city councilman, and Larry James, a high-profile Columbus criminal attorney.

ResponsibleOhio initially claimed to have filed just under 700,000 signatures on June 30 to put its proposed constitutional amendment on the ballot. At least 305,591 of those had to survive scrutiny to qualify.

But Mr. Husteds office later said the paper petitions sent to county boards of elections for review actually contained about 660,000 raw signatures. Of those, just 276,082 were deemed valid, nearly 30,000 shy of the minimum required. Another 384,104 were deemed invalid.

Thats a validation rate of 42 percent. If that rate holds for the nearly 96,000 supplemental signatures filed Thursday, roughly 40,000 would survive, enough to fill the gap and qualify the question for the ballot.

ResponsibleOhio is exploring court action in connection with what it says are roughly 40,000 unaccounted-for signatures as well as 20,000 signatures it claims county boards of election improperly disqualified.

They had an exponential failure rate last time, so well just have to see, said Elise Spriggs, spokesman for the still unofficial opposition to the proposed amendment. Their shenanigans where theyre calling into question the secretary of states office show they will use all tactics, because they have all kinds of financial sources, to get on the ballot one way or the other.

ResponsibleOhio had a 10-day grace period to fix its petitions. Before 2013, such petition efforts could continue to gather signatures while the first batch was reviewed.

But a new law forced such efforts to halt the circulation of petitions during the review period so that any corrective signatures would have to be collected strictly during the 10-day grace period.